The 30 Jan unfortunately saw one of the highest losses of life. In 2005 an RAF C-130 Hercules from 47 Sqn based at RAF Lynham crashed over Iraq killing all 10 personnel on board. It also saw the loss of two other personnel in 2006 and 2009.
We will be completing 12 miles in honour of:
- Squadron Leader Patrick Marshall, Headquarters Strike Command, aged 39
- Flight Lieutenant David Stead, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 35,
- Flight Lieutenant Andrew Smith, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 25
- Flight Lieutenant Paul Pardoel, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 35
- Master Air Engineer Gary Nicholson, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 42
- Chief Technician Richard Brown, RAF Lyneham, aged 40
- Flight Sergeant Mark Gibson, 47 Squadron, RAF Lyneham, aged 34
- Sergeant Robert O’Connor, RAF Lyneham, aged 38
- Corporal David Williams, RAF Lyneham, aged 37
- Acting Lance Corporal Steven Jones, Royal Signals, aged 25
- Lance Corporal Stewart Douglas. aged 22. 1st Battalion The Highlanders. Killed in Iraq in 2006.
- Corporal Daniel Nield, aged 31. 1st Battalion The Rifles. Killed in Afghanistan in 2009.